4 Powerful Takeaways from the 2017 Act Like Men Palooza
This past weekend, I went on a mini-vacation to the “Mitten” of Michigan. It was an epic road trip in the somewhat cramped white Corolla, nicknamed “The White Mamba.” What was supposed to be a nearly 9-hour trip that skirted around Chicago and hugged Lake Michigan, ended up turning into an 11.5 hour marathon plagued with road construction, car crashes, and a even a mystical Chick-fil-A!
All that being said, the road trip was worth it! Here’s why:
Authentic biblical manhood is alive and well!
- Worshiping, praying, and camping with over 1,300 men of faith in the woods of Michigan proved this takeaway.
- I have been to several men’s ministry conferences before, both large and small—whether it be in large convention centers, a mega church, or the local church. But nothing compared to the camaraderie of what took place at the Palooza!
- Heroes emerged throughout the weekend: The Hot Salsa Guy, The Knife Guy, The Rubik’s Cube Guy, and the Homerun Guy.
I need to step up my prayer life!
- The Harvest Bible Chapel team of pastors’ Palooza theme centered around the power of prayer.
- I learned new ways of praying, how to pray, and why prayer is so powerful.
- Sometimes it’s necessary to “Hit your knees now” and “get your face in the dirt” when you pray.
Life in the fast(ing) lane
- Pastor James MacDonald challenged all of us men to fast (just water) for 24-36 hours. Why? Because “desire for God germinates in the soil of self-denial.”
- This past Tuesday, I took Pastor James MacDonald up on his challenge and completed a 32 hour fast. I focused on His Word, prayer, and admitted that I didn’t know what my next step in one area of my life was. As Pastor James taught us, I humbled myself in front of the Lord.
- During my 32 hour fast, I heard from an acquaintance who helped me get back on track on this particular area of my life!
- I now consider myself living in the fast(ing) lane!
Biblical Manhood Pledge
- As many of you know, my passion is to help dads raise their kids into the young men and women that God designed them to be. In my first book, Friday Night Lights for Fathers and Sons, I help dads connect with their sons on a deeper level through fun activities and lessons straight from the Bible.
- At the Palooza, I got chills up my spine as at least fifty 15-year-olds walked down to the Palooza platform with their dads to take the Biblical Manhood Challenge. Can you imagine the power of this manhood ceremony from the perspective of a 15-year-old? Standing in front of a crowd of 1,300 God-fearing men with your dad at your side acknowledging and affirming your transition from boy to man!
- I cannot wait for my son to take this pledge when he is 15 and experience this powerful manhood ceremony surrounded by a community of witnesses!